Before electricity, people used candles to illuminate their Christmas tree. We wouldn't dream of doing that today and have a dramatic video that demonstrates how fast a fire can start in a dry and neglected Christmas tree versus one that is properly maintained.

Real Christmas trees need to be 100% hydrated and watered daily, so it's less of a fire hazard. 38% of home Christmas tree fires are caused by an electrical short or a heat source too close to a dry, neglected tree.

The National Fire Protection Association asks you to follow these safety tips:

  • When picking your real Christmas tree, make sure it has fresh green needles that don't fall off when touched.
  • Cut about 2 inches off the base of the trunk before putting it in the tree stand.
  • Place your tree at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces,        radiators, candles, heat vents, or lights.
  • Don't block an exit with your Christmas tree.
  • Add water daily to the tree stand.
  • Use lights that have the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
  • Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.
  • Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
  • Always turn off the Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.

This scary video shows how quickly a Christmas tree is engulfed in fire in under 60 seconds as opposed to a tree watered regularly.

96.9 WOUR logo
Enter your number to get our free mobile app

CHECK THEM OUT: 100 years of Christmas toys, gifts and fads

More From 96.9 WOUR